It doesn't matter what industry you're in, the five essential skills you need to succeed in business remain the same. It also doesn't matter if you're just starting out or are at the top of your game, these five skills are the building blocks to business success.
What are these five essential skills you need in business? In no particular order, they are:
1) Discipline. Make plans and stick to them. Control your impulses. Don't let setbacks take you off your chosen course. Keep your eye on the prize.
2) Leadership. Successful people are those who inspire others to do their best. Be quick to praise and slow to criticize. Lead by example. Be positive, trustworthy, cooperative and supportive. Have a vision and freely share it with others.
3) Inquisitiveness. Be hungry for new ideas and new ways of doing things. Actively seek out others' opinions. Always look for the better way.
4) Persuasiveness. Learn how to argue without being argumentative. Whether you're in sales, management or marketing, you need to be able to move people to your way of thinking. Make your case by identifying the problem, providing relevant facts and then proposing a solution that benefits the listener.
5) Fearlessness. The successful businessperson is the one who is not afraid to fail. View problems as challenges, and challenges as opportunities. Remember, with great risk comes great rewards.
Do you have these five skills? Do you want to develop them? You can begin by taking the Business Administration program at Everest College of Business, Technology and Health Care in Thunder Bay. At Everest, you will not only learn the technical skills of 21st century business — including business computer operations, basic accounting, marketing and management — but also have support in developing these five critical skills that will serve you for a lifetime.
Everest's Business Administration program can be completed in just eight months. Upon graduation, Everest's Career Services professionals can help you transition from school into the workplace by offering support with everything from resume preparation to setting up job interviews with prospective employers.
Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify.
About the Thunder Bay Campus
Everest College’s Thunder Bay campus is situated at 28 North Cumberland Street in Thunder Bay, Ontario (P7A 4K9). The campus has ample on-site parking and is convenient to many area day care centres, restaurants and stores.